Monday, January 31, 2011

The elephant in the room

Anyone who has been reading this blog for a while, knows how passionate I am about my teaching job. Sure: some lessons I glance at my watch every 10 minutes, or there are times I just want to run out of the class room. But all in all : I do it with heart and soul.


And that’s why, for some months now, I’ve been ignoring the elephant in the room: it’s not paying the bills. In fact, I’m so horribly underpaid that even working extra hours is not making any difference. At present, I’m running from one side of the city to the other, and back – only to still end up in red at the end of the month.

So, even though it’s really not the time, and even though my mind is busy with a million other things, I need to find a solution. I think a part time job with a decent salary is what I need. Say I can spend every morning of the week doing some boring admin thing, or nausea-inducing HR stuff. That way I can still teach afternoons. Or, of course, I could be very lucky and find a full time job with a fixed contract and a decent salary in training.

I’ve been looking for 2-3 months now. So far with no results. Today, I put my cv on one of those jobsites. See of that is going to do anything. And of course, dear readers, all leads or ideas from your side are more than welcome as well!

No comments: