Thursday, April 24, 2008

Keep checkin' the horizon

As the last period is only a break away, mixed feelings are welling up, stronger than ever. People want this to be over with, it has been more than enough (if you want a partner’s view on it, just have a look at the last entry on CC’s blog http://claudiaclaessens.blogspot.com/2008/04/counting-down.html ). And yet, saying goodbye is something we would like to postpone as long as possible.
More than one is fed up with the stress of job search and the unavoidable “dings”, causing self doubt and doubt about this whole MBA-thing (How could this ever be “the best year of their life”??). Yet at the same time, it’s the friends they have made throughout this year, that are most likely to provide the so needed emotional support and keep them going (‘cause frankly, who back home could ever understand this crazy b-school world?).
Uncertainty is taking its toll, for those who still not know where “home” will be. Relationships that have managed to survive this year, are once more facing quite a challenge: “where will his/her career take us now, and what about me?”
And then there are the happy faces of those who do have it all figured out yet. A minority, but a very present one to those who are still struggling .
In short : these are no easy times we’re living in. I would like to say “common, just enjoy it while it lasts!!!”, but I know I would be the last one to be able to do just that if I were in the same boat. Still, I stick to my conviction: sooner or later, everyone will find the right job for him/her and everything will turn out all right.

In the mean time, to follow an INSEAD blog trend (i.e. post a song), here’s one I think will make some sense to both students and their partners….


Colin Hay - Waiting for My Real Life to Begin

Any minute now, my ship is coming in
I'll keep checking the horizon
I'll stand on the bow, feel the waves come crashing
Come crashing down down down, on me

And you say, be still my love
Open up your heart
Let the light shine in
But don't you understand
I already have a plan
I'm waiting for my real life to begin

When I awoke today, suddenly nothing happened
But in my dreams, I slew the dragon
And down this beaten path, and up this cobbled lane
I'm walking in my old footsteps, once again

And you say, just be here now
Forget about the past, your mask is wearing thin
Let me throw one more dice
I know that I can win
I'm waiting for my real life to begin

Any minute now, my ship is coming in
I’ll keep checking the horizon
And I'll check my machine, there's sure to be that call
It's gonna happen soon, soon, oh so very soon
It's just that times are lean

And you say, be still my love
Open up your heart, let the light shine in
Don't you understand
I already have a plan
I'm waiting for my real life to begin

Hey....hey, heeeee.....hey.....hey, hey....heeee....heeee...

On a clear day
I can see...

On a clear day
I can see...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4tcRlHY-3Q&feature=related

No comments: