Thursday, June 5, 2008

Home-hunting

This week, I've visited four apartments. 3 out of 4 times, I knew it was a "no" even before I entered the building. Railroad to closeby. Street too noisy. Frontside of house too dirty. It takes quite some acting skills to still apear even slightly interested when the sleeky salesperson of the agency is pointing out all the great qualities of the apartment, when in my mind there's already a big red cross over it.

Yesterday, finally, no sleeky salesperson. But an elderly couple that could easily pass for my grandparents. No prepared sales speech, but "prenez votre temps mademoiselle". Maybe that's part of why I liked the place. I felt at ease, I felt at home. Even if it wasn't the kitchen of my dreams. Even if the terrace was smaller than I had hoped for. It's in one of the most beautiful streets of my favourite neighbourhood, where every house has a small frontgarden. No railroad in sight...

Tomorrow, P is coming to Brussels to have a look at it as well. I'm in no state to take decisions at the moment, and I have to admit that this "searching for a new home" is stressing me out:
a) I love my apartment where I've lived for the past 5 years, and having to leave it is breaking my heart - it's "Home", and if I've ever needed one, it's now.
b) The stress-rooms and emotion-rooms in my brain are already fully booked. There's more than enough on my plate. "Let's throw in another move"...not such a good idea.
c) if you are a regular visitor of this blog, you already know that I simply hate change.
On the bright side:
a) P and I will now oficially live together in one apartment (not bad after 7 years) !
b) 2 people = more money = more square meters!
c) I still have to come up with a third positive point to balance out the three negative points, but hey...I'm working on it!
Ow...got it! At least, I know in what city I'm going to live next year. I'm basically going back where I came from before INSEAD. I think a lot of other partners envy me just for that...

No comments: